Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
Based on the feedback offered by the provider, (in the attached interview form) prepare a 1-2 page pamphlet presentation based on the Teaching Work Plan (attached) and present the information to your local home health center. General Requirements
Solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal
Planning and Topic
Directions: Develop an educational series proposal for your community using one of the following four topics:
- Environmental Issues
- Primary Prevention/Health Promotion
- Secondary Prevention/Screenings for a Vulnerable Population
Planning Before Teaching:
|K. P. Nurse Practitioner
|Estimated Time Teaching Will Last: 2 hours||Location of Teaching: Classroom
|Supplies, Material, Equipment Needed: Pamphlets, presentation||Estimated Cost: $20,000
|Community and Target Aggregate: Teenagers in 9th to 12th grade
|Topic: A Community Education Program for the Primary Prevention of Diabetes.
Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
Identification of Focus for Community Teaching
The focus of this community teaching program is health promotion/primary prevention for Type 2 Diabetes. Health promotion initiatives involve processes of enabling people within certain communities to increase their control of their health. Health promotion activities such as the planned diabetes prevention education aim to help people to improve their health so that they can achieve a better state of physical, mental, and social wellbeing. In particular, this teaching program will help the targeted community to understand the risks of diabetes and the measures that they must take to prevent Type 2 diabetes, which is a lifestyle related illness.
Epidemiological Rationale for Topic
Type 2 diabetes is a significant health issue that affects most populations globally. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 422 million people suffer from Type 2 Diabetes in the world. This represents a significant increase from the 108 million value recorded in 1980 (WHO, 2018). The United States also has an increasing prevalence trend similar to the global statistics. Type 2 Diabetes is one of the leading public health issues affecting the U.S. population. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 9.6% of the population, representing around 21 million people in the United States have Type 2 Diabetes. Almost 1.3 million adults are diagnosed with his health condition every year (American Diabetes Association, 2017). Diabetes is also a leading cause of mortality in the United States. Georgia, which is the community of focus for this teaching program also reflects the same trends when it comes to diabetes prevalence. It is estimated that 1 in every 10 adults in Georgia has diabetes. The rates of diabetes in this state have increased by at least 50% since 2000 (Georgia Department of Health, 2015). Therefore, there is a need for health promotion to help people prevent the development of Type 2 diabetes. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
Teaching Plan Criteria
Your teaching plan will be graded based on its effectiveness and relevance to the population selected. This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
There is an increasing rate of diabetes diagnoses in the community. Type 2 diabetes is associated with poor eating habits and poor engagement in physical activity. Therefore, there is a need to educate the members of the community on strategies that they can apply to prevent the development of diabetes. This teaching plan will be focused in teaching lifestyle changes that are needed to promote good health and wellbeing.
Readiness for Learning:
Assessing the target population’s readiness to learn is important to ensure that the teaching program is effective. The following are the factors that will be examined to determine the readiness of the targeted population to learn.
First, the information processing capacity of the targeted audience will be examined. It is important to ensure that the people to be involved in the teaching program have the right emotional capacity to learn (Hung et al., 2010). The mental health of the beneficiaries of this teaching program needs to be in the right state so that they can have the cognitive capacity to understand the components of the teachings.
Experiential readiness: For experiential learning readiness, the level of prior learning will be examined. The target population will be examined on the prior knowledge they have on type 2 diabetes. This information is important in determining the kind of content that needs to be included and emphasized on the teaching program (Hung et al., 2010). The targeted population’s demonstration of interest should also be examined. A demonstration of interest in the learning material shows that the person is ready to learn.
Learning Theory to Be Utilized:
The theory to be applied in this teaching program is that of the health belief model. This is a theory of psychological and social behavior change model that works by predicting health-related behaviors. This theory is based in the assumption that the perceived beliefs about health problems and the effects of health promotion behaviors will affect health promotion behaviors (Skinner, Tiro, & Champion, 2015). For instance, when people understand the extent to which a health care issue affects the population to which they belong, their vulnerability to that illness, and the actions they can take to prevent the health issue, they are likely to make some effort in changing their behaviors in a way that influences their health and wellbeing. In this teaching program, it is expected that the beliefs of the targeted population on Type 2 diabetes, their understanding of the risk factors, and health promotion behaviors will promote lifestyle changes to reduce the prevalence of health issue.
Goal: Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) objective(s) utilized as the goal for the teaching. Include the appropriate objective number and rationale for using the selected HP2020 objective (use at least one objective from one of the 24 focus areas). If an HP2020 objective does not support your teaching, explain how your teaching applies to one of the two overarching HP2020 goals.
The goal of this teaching is to reduce the disease burden of type 2 diabetes and improve the general wellbeing of affected people, or those at risk of type 2 diabetes (Healthy People 2020.
How Does This HP2020 Objective Relate to Alma Ata’s Health for All Global Initiatives?
The Alma-Ata Health for All Global Initiatives are a set of short declarations, co-sponsored by the WHO, expressing the need for urgent action for the improvement of global health. One of the declarations states, “Governments have a responsibility for the health of their people which can be fulfilled only by the provision of adequate health and social measures.” The goal presented above is a reflection of government action to take social measures for the improvement of the wellbeing of the targeted population.
Develop Behavioral Objectives (Including Domains), Content, and Strategies/Methods:
|Behavioral Objective and DomainExample – Third-grade students will name one healthy food choice in each of the five food groups by the end of the presentation. (Cognitive Domain)||Content (be specific)Example – The Food Pyramid has five food groups which are….Healthy foods from each group are…. Unhealthy foods containing a lot of sugar or fat are….||Strategies/Methods
(label and describe)
Example – Interactive poster presentation of the Food Pyramid. After an explanation of the poster and each food category, allow students to place pictures of foods on the correct spot on the pyramid. Also, have the class analyze what a child had for lunch by putting names of foods on the poster and discussing what food group still needs to be eaten throughout day.
|1) 1. Students will define Type 2 diabetes (cognitive domain)||2) 1. The teacher will define Type 2 Diabetes. This is a chronic condition that prevents the body from using its insulin as required.||3) 1. A presentation will be used demonstrating the definition of type 2 diabetes. A pictorial representation of the characteristics that are associated with this health issue will be included to engage the students.|
|4) 2. The students will be able to name factors that cause type 2 diabetes (cognitive domain).||5) 2. Contributing factors to type 2 diabetes: the teacher will explain the factors that cause the development of type 2 diabetes.||6) 2. A video case presentation of a hypothetical patient who lived a lifestyle that led to the diabetes. The students will learn the emphasized risk factors from the life of this patient.|
|7) 3. Students will demonstrate strategies that they plan to use to reduce risk of diabetes (cognitive domain).||3. Strategies for the prevention of diabetes: the teacher will make a presentation of the strategies that can be used to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.||3. Interactive tabular representation of risk reduction strategies with an explanation of the mechanism through which the actions reduce the risk of diabetes.|
|8) 4.Students will develop an example of a meal plan for reducing the risk of diabetes (cognitive domain).
|4. The teacher will develop a healthy food pyramid that lists foods in tiers depending on how healthy of unhealthy they are. Students will use this pyramid to create their food plans.||4. An interactive video of the food pyramid will be used as part of the presentation to help students understand the differences between healthy and unhealthy foods.|
Creativity: How was creativity applied in the teaching methods/strategies?
Creativity has been applied in the selection of the interactive strategies for the class. It was important to make this teaching as relatable and effective as possible. For instance, the use of a hypothetical case study of a patient with diabetes helps the students to make a connection between the lesson and real-life experiences.
Planned Evaluation of Objectives (Outcome Evaluation): Describe what you will measure for each objective and how.
- The definition of Type 2 Diabetes: I will examine the accuracy of the definition of diabetes that was developed by the students.
- The number of factors that cause Type 2 Diabetes: I will examine the students’ ability to name the factors that contribute to the development of diabetes by examining the list that they develop.
- Strategies to reduce diabetes risk: I will examine the list of factors that students list as strategies to reduce their risk of getting diabetes.
- Food plan: I will evaluate the inclusion of healthy meals in the plans that have been developed by the students.
Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
Planned Evaluation of Goal:
The effectiveness of the teaching plan will be examined immediately after the lesson. The lesson involves teachings of behavior change that need to be applied for a long period of time. Therefore, the teaching effectiveness will need to examine the extent to which the students understand the behavioral changes that they will need to make after the class.
Planned Evaluation of Lesson and Teacher (Process Evaluation):
Formative assessment: Within the lesson the teacher will ask questions to determine how well the students are understanding the concepts of the lesson. This will help to determine the effectiveness of the teaching process.
Attention issues: Students may frequently lose attention to the concepts of the class. This challenge will be reduced by making the classroom more engaging.
Low student motivation: There is a possibility for students to lack enough motivation to be a part of the class. A recognition system for meeting class objectives will be used to motivate students.
4.2 Communicate therapeutically with patients. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
Therapeutic communication is a face-to-face process of interaction that focuses on the improvement of the physical and emotional wellbeing of the patient. In this case, the students will be the patients whose wellbeing needs improvement.
The presentation will capture the interest of the audience by starting with a shocking fact about diabetes. The students’ interest will likely be captured when they see the seriousness of the issue that is about to be taught. To promote active learning, question and answer sessions will be used. This will give students a chance to ask for clarification in areas that they may be struggling to understand. The conclusion of the presentation will be an action appeal asking the students to make lifestyle changes.
Nonverbal communication strategies that will be used include facial expressions and hand gestures that are in line with what is being taught. This will help to make the teaching more interactive. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
American Diabetes Association (2017). Diabetes Statistics. Retrieved from: https://www.diabetes.org/resources/statistics/statistics-about-diabetes
Georgia Department of Health (2015). Diabetes Report and Action Plan. Retrieved from: https://www.alliantquality.org/sites/default/files/Georgia%20Diabetes%20Action%20Plan%20FINAL%20DEC%202015.pdf
Healthy People 2020 (2019). Diabetes. Retrieved from: https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/diabetes
Hung, M. L., Chou, C., Chen, C. H., & Own, Z. Y. (2010). Learner readiness for online learning: Scale development and student perceptions. Computers & Education, 55(3), 1080-1090.
Skinner, C. S., Tiro, J., & Champion, V. L. (2015). Background on the health belief model. Health behavior: Theory, research, and practice,
World Health Organization (2018). Diabetes. Retrieved from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/diabetes
- What is your name and title? Janet Moreland, hospital Administrator
- I know that in the past you worked as a community health nurse, how long did you hold that position? For 15 years. I became a community health nurse in 1987, and was later promoted to senior community nursing supervisor.
- How long have you been practicing in Palm Beach County, Florida? For more than 35 years.
- What is your role as a community health nurse? I was responsible for Family planning, providing treatments, immunization and most importantly education.
- I noticed you have experience in hospital, home health, skilled nursing, community and public health primary care environments and you are now the Administrator of Lakeside Medical Center. Which position would you say prepared you for your current position? Healthcare administrator. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
- How would you describe Palm Beach County in relation to other districts, are we progressive in comparison? Yes, Palm Beach County has a really good healthcare system. Palm Beach County is really good structure as it relates to the needs of the insured and the uninsured.
- Do you face any challenges when serving the community? Somewhat… trying to help patients understand their diagnosis and the education related to it. We have to get out and in the community, we can’t expect them to come to us. We have to get them to understand the diagnosis and how to take care of themselves to live a healthy and productive life.
- Do you think that Palm Beach County is a healthy community? For example, many people are concerned with the air quality in this area. With what you’ve seen is this an issue, and do you think we suffer more than other area’s health wise? Looking at the data from 2018, although it only looked at race and ethnicity, Palm Beach County isn’t a healthy county. Diabetes, hypertension and people with cardiovascular issues is high. The hospital is looking into buying the property next to it where there will be a walking track, and a vegetable field.
- Who do you believe is most at risk for health concerns in the County? African American, related to diet, not only cardiovascular disease but also breast health. We have to get a navigator to go out into the community and educate the public. Most African Americans do t find out that they have breast cancer until it reaches a stage 3 or 4.
- What are some of the health risk factors that cause diseases within Palm Beach County? Hereditary,language barrier, diet, lack of exercise, education status, trying to get those who are at a5th grade level to understand.
- How do you educate the community? By getting back into the community and out of the hospital. Partnering with other organizations, and getting with the community liaison to bring back information from the community.
- What are some of the challenges that you encounter when educating the community? Understanding basic things such as food consumption, reading labels, being able to educate them and letting them know the importance of seeing a nutritionist, and not waiting until something bad happens before they see a doctor. They can no longer have to worry about transportation, because we know have several free methods of transportation in the community. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example
- For a person thinking of relocating to Palm Beach County, what advice would you give him or her about living a healthy? Know the available resources and take advantage of it. Find a medical home, make and keep your appointments, ask for your medical records. Community Teaching Work Plan Proposal Example