In this task, you will identify a healthcare problem and develop a question that can be informed by evidence. You will identify a single intervention and then search for five research articles and two non-research articles that support that intervention. Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
The rubric provides detailed criteria for evaluating your submission. You are expected to use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course. Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
A. Write a brief summary (suggested length of 2–3 pages) of the significance and background of a healthcare problem by doing the following:
1. Describe a healthcare problem.
Note: A healthcare problem can be broad in nature or focused.
2. Explain the significance of the problem.
3. Describe the current practice related to the problem.
4. Discuss how the problem impacts the organization and/or patient’s cultural background (i.e., values, health behavior, and preferences).
B. Complete the attached “PICO Table Template” by identifying all the elements of the PICO.
1. Develop the PICO question.
C. Describe the search strategy (suggested length of 1–2 pages) you used to conduct the literature review by doing the following:
1. Identify the keywords used for the search.
2. Describe the number and types of articles that were available for consideration.
a. Discuss two research evidence and two non-research evidence sources that were considered (levels I–V).
Note: Be sure to upload a copy of the full text of the aritcles with your submission. Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers
D. Complete the attached “Evidence Matrix” to list five research evidence sources (levels I–III) from scholarly journal sources you locate in major medical databases.
Note: Four different authors should be used for research evidence. Research evidence must not be more than five years old. Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
Note: You may submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task or you may include the matrix within your paper, aligned to APA standards.
Note: Be sure to upload a copy of the full text of the articles with your submission.
E. Explain a recommended practice change (suggested length of 1–3 pages) that addresses the PICO question within the framework of the evidence collected and used in the attached “Evidence Matrix.”
F. Describe a process for implementing the recommendation from part E (suggested length of 2–3 pages) in which you do the following:
1. Explain how you would involve three key stakeholders in the decision to implement the recommendation.
2. Describe the specific barriers you may encounter in applying evidence to practice changes in the nursing practice setting.
3. Identify two strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers discussed in F2.
4. Identify one indicator to measure the outcome related to the recommendation.
G. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers
A1. Healthcare Problem/ A2. Significance of Problem/ A3. Current Practice / A4. Impact on Background
Write 1-2 paragraphs for each response. You may want to include in text citations to support these sections. The A section should only discuss the problem without any mention of the intervention. The current practice should relate to the C in the PICO. Discussion on how the problem impacts either the workplace culture OR the patient’s culture is required in A4.
- PICO Table (Chapter 4) Download the table from Taskstream or just include a 4 row by 2 column table in the paper and use the PICO toolkit as a guide (Module Video 2 and Toolkit, Appendix B).
B1. PICO Question (Chapter 4) Construct the question that relates to the PICO elements in the table using the PICO Question Development toolkit as a guide (Module Video 2.4 and Toolkit, Appendix B). Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
Here is a question template:
Among (population), does (intervention) lower (problem) as compared to the current practice?
C1. Keywords. This is just a list of the search terms used.
C2. Number and Types of Articles. Describe the number and research types/subtypes of the articles you find in your search. They may include research articles, quality improvement, practice guidelines, pieces written to educate/inform, expert opinion, and more. This is a bare-bones description of the number and types of articles you find. For example, you might begin by stating the number of articles that came up (10,000) and the number you reviewed (20) then give a breakdown of the types you reviewed (5 RCT, 5 Reviews, 5 Quality Improvement projects, 5 Qualitative). (1 paragraph)
C2a. Research and Non-Research Evidence. (Chapters 6 & 7). You can use 2 of your five research articles here to represent the 2 research studies. Be sure to state if the publication is a research or non-research evidence. Do not use an article with the words systematic review or integrative review in the title as an example of non-research evidence. This will be 4 paragraphs describing the 2 research (Level I-III) and 2 non-research (Level IV-V) studies found during the search. Each paragraph should include the in-text citation for that article, for example:
The first research study found … (Smith & Jones, 2014).
Then write a few sentences about that research study and do the same for the other 3 articles. Review the research evidence appraisal toolkit and Chapter 6 for the research evidence articles.
Review the non-research evidence appraisal toolkit and Chapter 7 for the non-research evidence articles.
- Evidence Matrix. Download the matrix from Taskstream. Enter the 5 research articles (Level I – III) in the table using the level and quality guide toolkit to determine the correct level. The research design/type should be quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods. Remember, level 1 are randomized controlled trials only, level 2 are quasi-experimental only, and everything else is level 3. For systematic and integrative reviews, read the level 1-3 definitions in Appendix C. The sample size for review studies are the number of articles reviewed. Please read chapter 6 & 7 and be sure not to include non research evidence such as quality improvement projects in the table (Module Video 3 Toolkit, Appendix C:Level and quality guide). Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
- Recommended Practice Change. This section should be a minimum of 6 sentences. The first sentence names the single intervention that all the articles in the matrix support. Then write one sentence each for the 5 studies in the matrix on how each article used the intervention to decrease the stated problem. Each of the five sentences must include an in text citation for that research study. For example, Intentional rounding was shown to decrease falls by 20% over 3 months (Smith, Rogers, & Stein, 2014). (1-2 paragraphs)
F1. Key Stakeholders. (Chapter 3, p. 41 & Chapter 8, p. 155) A stakeholder is anyone who has something to win or lose from this change. Also, think about those whom you need to engage in the process to make it a lasting change by involving them in the decision to make the change. They can be floor nurses, nurse educators, nurse managers, nurse administrators, etc. You will need to mention at least 3 different key stakeholders. For each stakeholder, name a strategy to involve them in the decision to change the practice. (1-2 paragraphs)
F2. Barriers. (Chapter 9, p. 177) This section is a discussion of the barriers to change. You may want to talk about change, delegation of tasks, training/education, funding, and attitude toward research as these are areas that cause barriers to initiation and continuing compliance with a practice change. Mention one barrier related to change and one barrier related to translation of research into practice. (1 paragraph). Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers.
F3. Strategies for Barriers. (Chapter 9, p. 180) This section will discuss 2 strategies to overcome the identified barriers in section F2. (1 paragraph)
F4. Indicator to Measure Outcome. (Chapter 1, p. 9 & Chapter 8, p. 154 – 155) An indicator is something that can be measured. For example, if the I in the PICO is “hourly rounding to prevent falls” the outcome measure would be the number of falls. Describe how you would measure an improvement after the practice change. (1 paragraph). Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers
G Sources. Remember to include 5 in-text citations in section E from the 5 research studies in the Evidence Matrix. Also, remember that the reference page should include all 7 studies mentioned in the paper, assuming that the 2 research studies in C2a are also included in the 5 research studies in the Evidence Matrix.
For reference page and in text citations: References rules. Evidence Matrix and PICOT Healthcare Problem Research Articles Essay Assignment Papers