Systems Theory: Nursing Services Delivery Theory
Application: Systems Theory
As noted systems theory provides a meaningful and beneficial means of examining challenges in health care organizations. To do this effectively, however, it is essential to assess all system components, as some may be relatively healthy while others are problematic.
For this Systems Theory: Nursing Services Delivery Theory Assignment, you apply systems theory to the examination of a problem in a department or a unit within a health care organization. (Note: You may use the same problem you identified for the Discussion as long as it meets the criteria for this assignment.)
- Review the Meyer article, “Nursing Services Delivery Theory: An Open System Approach,” (Google This article).
- Reflect on your organization or one with which you are familiar. Within a particular department or unit in this organization, identify a problem the staff is encountering.
- Analyze the department or unit, identifying inputs, throughput, output, cycles of events, and negative feedback. Consider whether the problem you have selected relates to input, throughput, output, cycles of events, and/or negative feedback.
- Think about how you could address the problem: Consider what a desired outcome would be, then formulate related goals and objectives, and translate those goals into policies and procedures.
- Research professional standards that are pertinent to your identified problem.
- Reflect on the organization’s mission statement and values. In addition, consider how addressing this problem would uphold the mission and values, while improving the organizational culture and climate. (Depending on the organization you have selected, you may have explored these in the Week 1 Discussion.)
Write a 4 page Systems Theory: Nursing Services Delivery Theory paper (page count does not include title and reference page) that addresses the following:
- Describe a department or unit within a health care organization using systems theory terminology. Include a description of inputs, throughput, output, cycles of events, and negative feedback.
- Describe the problem you identified within the department or unit using an open- systems approach, and state where the problem exists using the systems theory model (input, throughput, output, cycles of events, or negative feedback).
- Based on this information, explain how you would address the problem as follows:
- Formulate a desired outcome.
- Identify goals and objectives that would facilitate that outcome.
- Translate those goals and objectives into policies and procedures for the department or unit.
- Describe relevant professional standards.
- Explain how your proposed resolution to the problem would uphold the organization’s mission and values and improve the culture and climate.
Reminder: The paper submitted should include a title page, introduction, summary, and references.
This Systems Theory: Nursing Services Delivery Theory Assignment is due by Friday at 1400Hrs